Sunday 15 January 2023

Simulation and Simulacra (after Baudrillard)

I have my father’s criminal mind,

But I daren’t use it.  


That doesn’t mean 

That every opportunity I see,

I don’t imagine what I could do

Or turn it into. 


The heinous things he did

He did without 

A second thought,

A conscience of consciousness, or

Care. 


Nor malice. 


Just salacious violence.   


His legacy was so great

There isn’t any trace;

Nothing accounted or accountable. 


So great is my legacy. 


But every time 

I see it play out

Ice wraps me like a skin

Reminding me of him

Of what he did and did not do. 

What was seen and not seen;

Known and not known. 


The irony of those

Who entreat themselves as “renegade”,

As they puppeteer dalliances with darkness: 

Simulate the innate

Legacy they can only imagine. 


That I deny

That simulacra. 


No comments:

Post a Comment