Tuesday 29 June 2021

Diary. Day 1. Before dawn.

The border check was like Checkpoint Charlie, but friendlier, with sniffer dogs going through my car, temperature checks, forms and declarations by a string of five officials before the sun had come up.  But they forgot to clear out my boot, as promised before I left the mainland.  So I’m driving around with a massive number 18 sticker (my most superstitious number) and a pink cross tattooed on my windscreen.  I called Biosecurity, and I’m in limbo, waiting for them to call back.  I’m going to clear the eucalyptus leaves (not permissible on this island) before I catch the ferry to the next island.  


They call us “The Mainlanders”, but this little island is like my last mainland for a while.  I’m supposed to stock up on groceries, but after half a year of overflowing obligations and over a year of certain uncertainty, I’m going to trust local produce and spontaneity. 


I’m going to Storm Bay, which Dutch ships visited in 1642 with Abel Tasman; Tobias Furneaux came back in 1774 and renamed it after his ship, the Adventure; then James Cook in Endeavour searching for Terra Australis Incognito; then Bligh in Bounty and Providence.  


There were communities here before them, though.  Sometimes providence comes in strange guises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment